Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Theme Week # 3

The suns starting to fall into the earth. My hair's matted to my head from sweat. I'm sitting on the front steps in my cut off Levis and pink shit kickers covered in grass, and engrossed in the serenity of the moment...

"Hey, watcha doin?"
screeetch. End of that moment!

"Just resting."

"Yeah, I saw you from the kitchen window. Thought I'd come bug ya."

Reeeally, you watching from your kitchen window? What a surprise!

"I'm just mowing the lawn so Gary doesn't have to think about it when he goes golfing."

Who am I trying to kid?

"I wish my wife would mow the lawn."

"She'll probably surprise you some day."

"I always see you out here working. Do you ever slow down."

Let me guess, from the kitchen window?

"That's what I'm doing sitting here."

"Hot day isn't it?"

"Yep." I jump off the step with the energy of a goat, and kick the grass off my boots hoping he sees my ambition to be somewhere else.

"Gary left early this morning. I saw his lights pull out of the driveway."

Man, you don't miss anything!

"Yeah, he was meeting friends for breakfast then doing a little golf."

"He left you here all by yourself?"

Until now.

"I don't mind. I like to be alone sometimes. If you can't be alone with yourself and enjoy it then you should start thinking about a prison career. Minus the whole solitary confinement thing."

He laughs out loud, plops his ass on the step, and leans back.

Real smart Darlene. Entertain him so he wants to stay longer!

"I was thinkin' you probably get bored so I thought I'd keep you company."

"I'm truly never bored. I can find a hundred things to do in a day." (Hint. Hint.)

The sun is setting now. I swear I hear the crickets singing "take him home country roads, take him home."

"I have to go in and start dinner. I'm gonna have to say goodnight."

"Yeah, it was great talking to you."

"You too."

He gets up from the steps and says, "I'm going to go home and play with the box my children came in."

I'm going to go stock up on sugar!

" Repulsed, I say, "Good luck with that." He turns to leave and says, "Goodnight neighbor."

"Yeah, night."

1 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

Whew, and you say you can't do dialogue! (Not to mention the cool italics...)

You've got the speeches. YOu've avoided the he-muttered-sleepily, she-snapped-angrily sort of thing. YOu've given us a counterpoint of thoughts with your speeches.

Most of all, you've scared the bejeepers out of us with what a creepy weirdo this guy is. I'd keep my sidearm handy, because he sounds like he'll be coming through your bedroom window some night.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home