Thursday, September 07, 2006

Journal Entry #5

A traffic cop in a tin can, a half eaten egg salad sandwich, and the wretchedness that has been my afternoon!

After spending several hours in the lounge and losing two hours worth of work to an expired page, I decided to leave my frustrations there and try again tomorrow. Yeah right...

Due to my hectic schedule, and some crazy things going on in my life, eating has not been my usual priority. Two weeks and seven pounds lighter, I jumped at the feeling of hunger and headed to the deli across from the college.

Forgetting to bring my purse, an egg salad sandwich became my only choice. No big deal. My appetite was back! I unwrapped the sandwich, folded the paper neatly in my lap and took my first bite. Hoping to beat the five o'clock traffic, I put it between my legs and plunged my car into the sanity that bridge repair created. Twenty-five feet later, my car completely died. "SHIT, SHIT, SHIT!" I tried looking for my hazard lights but couldn't find them. Some genius Saab designer thought putting the key in the center console would prove fascinating so God only knew where the hazard lights were. I tossed the egg salad sandwich in the passenger seat and rolled down the window. Turning the key with my right hand, I waved cars past with my left. Anywhere else but in the center of hell! "Please start. Please start!" I repeated that in my head for what seemed like eternity. Finally it started and I layed on the gas peddle.

I pulled into Advance Auto and saw two young men sitting on their motorcycles. I didn't want to shut the car off so I slammed the door and offered them money if they could find someone to steal it. Needless to say, my chariot was still there waiting when I returned.

After calling my husband and leaving a loving message about him ignoring my concern about the car, I turned to the passenger seat and saw my sandwich fermenting in the sun. "Yep! I'm feeling hungry now."

1 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

Oh was that you tying up traffic all the way to Millinocket? Don't be embarrassed...be scared we commuters come after you, dd.

DD, if you didn't have bad luck you'd have none at all, but fortunately for you, this means you don't have to go whining to your English teacher saying you've got nothing to write about. It's all material!

In truth, to turn a series of pratfalls like this into an amusing and coherent account is not easy at all. Give your self a pat on the back for your consistent voice, mastery of tone, and lightness of touch. Even when it didn't feel like any of that, the writer saw what needed to be done.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home