Sunday, September 24, 2006

Theme Week # 4 Part 2

Completely exhausted from multiple shifts caring for my terminally ill Grandmother, five classes, and a part time job, I couldn't have picked up a toothpick let alone a frying pan so when my husband asked "What's for dinner?", with disdain I replied "Applebees."

We drove to the restaurant in silence. I unloaded the week in my mind while he scanned the fields for deer.

Resting my head on his shoulder while waiting for a table he asked, "You Ok Babe?" "Yeah, I'm fine, just tired."

The waitress wasn't exactly friendly but then I wasn't in the mood for rehearsed chit-chat. I ordered a club sandwich, and my husband, a rack of ribs. "Anything to drink?" In unison we replied, "A Heineken."

Happy to think of something else, I listened for thirty minutes to an over-dramatized depiction of "last nights hunt" Several beers later, the waitress brought us our food. "Anything else?" Before we could finish shaking our heads, she was gone.

Tricked by a beer buzz, I felt famished. I wrapped my fingers around the sandwich, brought it an inch from my mouth, and saw it...Inside my sandwich between a tomato and a thick layer of mayonnaise was a black curly hair!

Repulsed, I dropped my sandwich and said, "I think I am going to puke!" My husband called the waitress over. Annoyed by his gesture, she flipped around and with heavy feet, walked to our table.

"What do you need?" "I need you to take this sandwich out of my face before you have to clean up a little more than some spilled salt and used napkins." "What's the matter with it?" I pointed to the hair. She grabbed the plate and said she would send the manager over.

Watching my husband gnaw on his ribs I asked, "How in the hell can you sit there and eat?" His Neanderthal response, "I'm hungry."

The manager came to the table and asked if I wanted a different meal. "No just the check." He came back, said he deducted my meal (how big of him!), and handed me a $5 coupon for my next visit.

"Unless I can use this at some other restaurant, you can keep your coupon. There's hair sir, and then there's ,hair. One is forgivable, one is not!"

I stared at my husband while he finished his meal, irritated that he would eat when I hadn't. I walked to the car ahead of him....it's a quiet ride home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home