Thursday, October 12, 2006

Journal Entry #14

I try, I swear I do. I even changed my alarm clock. No more loud honking buzzes to annoy me awake just the steady chirping of birds. I make a conscious effort every morning to leave my house with a positive attitude. Good karma is supposed to return to you. Well so far, it hasn't.

I don't know what it is about Dunkin Donuts on the Odlin road but I meet every rude person on the planet there. A week ago a woman cut me off. Instead of getting mad or tailgating (which is always my first instinct), I took a deep breath and before I could blow the damn think out, she was blocking the entrance to Dunkin Donuts so I couldn't drive in. There are two lines going in, one for the drive through (which is where her lazy ass was supposed to be) and one to enter. Pull it together, I thought. Then I saw it; she was laughing at me in her side view mirror. No, that can't be. She wouldn't cut me off then block me out and actually laugh about it. Sure enough, she was! OK, kiss that karma shit goodbye. Like a kid whose sand castle had just been knocked down, I pulled over the curb along side of her, rolled down my window and through up the "fuck you" gesture. She stopped laughing. I guess I probably scared her taking it a little over the edge.

Fast forward to this morning...I decided to go through the drive through and avoid the downpours. Turning left into Dunkin Donuts, sometimes you have to wait because the drive through goes to the end of the lot. Common courtesy for the people who are pulling up and have the advantage of turning right would be to allow us (the lefties) since we had been waiting longer to go ahead. Hell no! Some woman in a big Suburban doesn't just turn right, she sneaks her bumper up before the line moves so we can't get in front of her. She looked at me as I slumped forward on my steering wheel in frustration. I looked at her and mouthed that she was rude (no, I held the swearing.)and she turned away. Another person pulled behind her. I admit it. I have a serious problem with road rage and rude people but I was tired, hungry, and my jeans were completely soaked from the ass down. Well, it wasn't all bad. The car behind her let me go in front of him so when I pulled up to pay, I paid for his breakfast and drove away. At least his karma came back to him!

2 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

It's so weird to be about two generations wrong and just absolutely not get it: I am totally intimidated by drive-thrus (still don't understand why there are two windows, can't figure out when to pay, suspect no one can hear me on the mike, etc.) I just park and walk in! But, you know, the people behind the counter are sort of suspicious if you do that.... Well, no, you wouldn't know, would you?

7:08 PM  
Blogger Mainer said...

I normally walk in but prefer to skip it when it's raining cats and dogs.

I had a friend who lived in Beverly Hills that didn't know how to "do it" either. I guess I shouldn't have teased her about being the only one on the planet.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home