Sunday, November 26, 2006

Theme Week # 12 (2)

He walked on the tip of one toe and dragged the other foot behind. He was born with cerebral palsy which challenged his mind, slowed his thoughts and delayed his words; words he found in spite of. Physically, he couldn't run far or fast, but he ran anyway. He'd fall then get up, and fall again. He was born cross eyed. Even after surgery one eye wondered doctors said he would never walk normal or be like other children.
His biggest challenge wasn't the instability of his gait. His biggest challenge were the children who didn't understand why it took him so long to get on the bus, why he couldn't run the bases faster, why he read slow, or wrote messy. This challenge became his families challenge. The challenge to let him hurt, fall, feel sadness, to let him find his way, and he did.
The doctors gave him a 30% chance to survive. He played baseball, football, accepted his diploma to a standing ovation, got a job, moved into his own apartment, and later married. They were wrong and he knew.

5 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

Someone you know?

6:56 PM  
Blogger Mainer said...

Yes, my brother. I took myself out...or at least distanced myself from it...??

5:25 AM  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

Well, you're out of it literally, but I can hear you in here, angry, upset, saying to doctor bullies and playground bullies both, 'See? See?'

There's nothing wrong with that at all because it's very much in your control as a writer.

I don't know why, Darlene, but this piece just doesn't get my enthusiasm--if I did know why, I'd tell you.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Mainer said...

I'll go out on a limb and tell you why:)

After reading it again, it reveals everything. Wrapped up too tight.
Sound about right?

3:12 AM  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

YOu might be right--I do seem to have a taste for the unsaid, don't I?

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home